Monday, June 14, 2010

Reflections on 2009-2010

The Urban faculty had its closing meeting a few weeks ago—the last faculty meeting of the year. During the meeting, we reflected on a couple of things. First, in small groups, we shared a professional triumph or challenge. Then, with the full faculty, we shared our thoughts about one student whose growth/development we'd felt identified with in the last year. This process of reflection (along with the self-evaluation I wrote) has me thinking that it would be nice to list a few of the positives about the end of this year.

1. The student who started off the year with a lot of bad habits (late papers, a lack of participation in class, etc.). That student now writes poetry daily and tells me about it. Yay!

2. The book I got from a student accompanied by a heartfelt "thank you so much for....everything."

3. I'm pleased with the way my Advanced Composition class went this fall, and hope to preserve the elements that worked well, yet polish it for next fall.

4. I re-started a poetry class that had been dormant for a year, and got a bunch of students (see #1 above) interested in poetry. I hope next year's iteration of the class is even better.

Coming soon: another post that lay on the back burner over the last couple of weeks. It's not quite so self-congratulatory.

No comments: