Sunday, July 1, 2012

Blackberries

For years, we have battled the blackberries in our yard.



Last year, we gave in and decided to let a few canes grow on a support. We had a lot of berries. This year, there have been ripe berries every day all month. Every time we're in the yard, we collect a few.



After his nap this afternoon, I asked Dash if he wanted anything to eat before we left for the park. "Bewwies! Bewwies!" was the reply.



So I went out and picked some.



The canes of the blackberry bush prick and scrape as I harvest the ripe fruits, leaving aside the less-ripe berries for tomorrow. Some berries burst as I pluck them; I think of Plath, juices squandered on my fingers.

It is hot in the bright gray yard. I can hear "bewwies! bewwies!" echoing from above.



I go back up, berry-bearing.


There is a feast. Rapid and ecstatic. In less than two minutes, the berries are gone.



Nick thinks of Plath, too.

They ask for more. Once more I venture out, scratching my fingers on the canes, listening to squeals from inside.


The seconds are met with less enthusiasm, but not without joy. We still have berries left over.



No comments: